Friday, September 19, 2008

Smoking through the night!

Oh Yea Baby!






THAT is a Brisket. We're talking 13 pounds and the biggest piece of meat I've ever brought home.


The plan was to have smoked Brisket on the table by Mid-afternoon on a Saturday, which required an over-night cook. The Weber Bullet went to work at 9:30 p.m on a calm September Evening in Pacific Northwest. With the cook going anywhere from 13 to 18 hours, I filled up the Cooker with unlit Charcoal and dropped 15 lit briquets in the center, otherwise known as the "Minion Method"


This being my first "over-nighter", I was a little leary about maintaining temps while I slept. So I monitored the smoker diligently until about 4:00 a.m and with the smoker holding rock steady at 225, decided to lay down for awhile.

6 hours later I woke up fearing the worst. As I walked to the kitchen to check the Maverick monitor, I envisioned a dry water pan and hot running smoker with an overcooked Brisket. I began to ask myself, "Is it going to be Ribeyes tonight or New York Strip?"......

To my surprise the smoker was loafing along at 202 with plenty of water. Definitely could have been worse. At least the Temps didn't run away.

14 hours and 27 minutes into the cook I hit 170 degrees. With 4 hours to go until dinner, I was in good shape

At 18 hours I finally hit 190 and pulled the beast off, wrapped it in foil and dropped it into a cooler..................So we have about 2 hours of prep time, plus 18 hours on the smoker, plus and hour or so in Foil.............


The total process for one 13 LB Brisket was about 21 hours, but it was worth it.




Hey, That's not burnt, It's BARK.....................


Now, that's a Serious Smoke ring!

No comments: